How To Know If Your Child Needs To Be Seen By An ENT Doctor For Hearing Problems

Posted on: 18 November 2016


If you are starting to wonder whether your child may be in need of an evaluation of his or her hearing by an ENT doctor, you will want to review the following signs of trouble. This way, you will know that is time to make that appointment.

Your Child Is Not Responding Properly To Questions

It is important to make sure that you are paying close attention to the answers your child is giving when he or she is asked a question. Just because your child is giving an answer does not mean that his or her hearing is in perfect shape. Sure, your child may be able to hear sounds and can tell that you are asking a question, but if it seems as though your child is often giving an answer that gives the impression that he or she thought you asked something completely different, there may be the need for a hearing test conducted by an ENT doctor.

The Child's Speech Sounds Different

While it is important to remember that is it not uncommon for a child to have a speech pattern that is slightly different than his or her peers, it could signify that there is something wrong. Therefore, if you take some time to listen to other children around the age of your child, and you are noticing a big difference in the way they talk, you will want to go ahead and have an appointment set up with an ENT doctor.

Your Child Complains About Noises In The Ear

If your child has come to you and expressed concern about noises that he or she has been hearing, that no one else can hear, then you will want to schedule an appointment with an ENT specialist. You will want to quickly rule out any possible hearing complications before venturing down any other road for a diagnosis. This way, if there is a problem with his or her hearing, you can begin to address the issue right away. The longer you wait, the harder it may be to correct whatever problem your child is having with his or her hearing.

With those few signs of hearing trouble in mind, you should have a much easier time deciding whether it is time to contact an ENT specialist. If it is, you may want to contact your primary care doctor for a referral. If a referral is not needed by your insurance company, you simply need to look for a specialist that accepts your insurance and that can see your child as soon as possible.